Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Mobile Device Dilemma part III

I was sitting next to a colleague recently who was evaluating a Galaxy Tab. I have been toying with the idea of getting a Galaxy Tab and using  it as a replacement for my cell phone, and seeing the run through of the device spurred me to seriously analyze the pros/cons and make a decision. In addition to being able to browse the internet, take good notes, and almost act as a PC in the meetings I attend, I would like the Tab to have the following:

  • Google Voice Support - I moved off of Skype to Google Voice in my home office and it seems to work just fine. If I had a Tab I would like to install Google Voice and make and receive calls. The buzz on the internet seems to indicate that YES you can do that and NO you cannot. Not sure who is correct. Oh, and I would need to be able to use my blue tooth headset to talk over Google Voice.
  • Pocket-ability - I need the Tab to go with me just like I carry my cell phone and that seems a bit awkward. I currently throw my cell phone into my shirt pocket or inside jacket pocket and the size of the Tab does not seem to allow that. I have seen pictures of Tabs stuffed into jean pockets but that does not look comfortable. Of all the roadblocks to the Tab this might be the deal breaker.
  • Price - The $600 list price is high. But we all know the real cost is in the 24 months of voice/data under contract. So would $600 + X < $300 + Y?  Where X is a large enough data only plan and Y is the current voice plus data that I have? Gets complicated since I don't know how much data I would use per month to support VOIP. But I would only have to save $12.50 a month to hit break even.

In addition, my current dilemma over waiting for a faster network (documented in part II) plays into this. If all of my requirements above were satisfied would it make sense to wait 6-12 months for a Tab 2.0 that supported HSPA+ or LTE?

It really helps to write all this down in a blog post. I am not going to get the Tab.
It would work well as a device when I was going to a business meeting as my destination or on a business trip when I carry my briefcase / backpack. But not as a "Constant Digital Companion" (remember the phrase and where it was coined). Eventually I want to have a device that is with me 24x7... much like my wristwatch.
Nokia Concept Wrist Phone

Currently, my Blackberry is with me much less and I want to be able to train myself to have my next device with me and able to support me with more assistance. How far should this go? A recent article in the NY Times "Growing up Digital, Wired for Distraction" argues that for many teenagers the limit has already been exceeded. But I don't want to SMS 1,000 messages a day (or the Twitter equivalent). I want the device always with me, to be monitoring my situation in the background, and gently interrupting me with suggestions that keep me on track.

And that leaves out the TAB.

No comments:

Post a Comment